Friday, December 12, 2008

An NKOTB fan at UNH?

This is what I love: When two of my passions collide with totally awesome results!

See, in my real job as a sports reporter, I'm in the middle of covering the men's and women's basketball teams at Marist College. That entails, among other things, scouring pages and pages of pre-game notes (such as the ones to the right) prior to each contest. Each school usually gives you a packet of info, all in an effort to make my job easier, which I appreciate. These notes usually include obscure facts most people wouldn't know about a team, and as such, schools' sports information directors think of catchy headlines to use on various blurbs to draw people's attention to the information.

So, here's where it got fun for me recently, when the University of New Hampshire traveled to town...

Flipping through the Wildcats' game notes, I couldn't help but come across this first headline, "Hangin' Tough," above a blurb about how the UNH team played several opponents close all the way til the waning moments of games. Think nothing of it, right? Just "Hangin' Tough" and then on to the next item, right?

Well for me, "Hangin' Tough" is also the title of the second album by my favorite group of all time, the New Kids On The Block. (You've heard I met the New Kids, right?) OK, keep that in mind...

Then I'm glancing past other blurbs entitled things like "Seeing Double" and "Three For All" and the like.

Finally, I came across this last blurb in the UNH packet, which gave me a clue someone in the Wildcats' fold is also a NKOTB fan. Go ahead: Look at the headline... Come on! Coincidence? I think not!

Admittedly, I'm sure I'm the only person to read those notes and make the New Kids connection; and that's what makes it all the more cool!

No comments: