Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious savings

Anyone who's read this blog knows that I'm a huge Disney fan (er, geek) so it should come as no surprise that the Disney classic "Mary Poppins" is my favorite all-time movie: It's got live action, it's got animation, and it's just plain fun!

So, on a recent trip to Walt Disney World, I couldn't help but notice this photo of Julie Andrews as the "practically perfect" nanny, framed with a cut signature of hers, for sale at Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind, a movie memorabilia store inside Disney's Hollywood Studios. Sid is asking $395, which is actually cheap considering some of the rare pieces in the store.

Journalism, as you might know, isn't the highest-paying profession in the world, so this photo I snapped of the piece hanging on the wall is my only souvenir.

Well, upon returning home I thought there had to be a way to get Poppins' autograph, and the wheels started turning...

Knowing that Julie Andrews had written a memoir last spring, I was able to track down a copy that she signed on her book tour for a mere $35, including shipping. Here's her signature on the title page:Now, compare that to the autograph from the piece hanging on the wall in that Disney World store — ya know, the one they're asking $395 for:
Now, I'm no math whiz, but that's one heck of a deal if you ask me! And, it's a nice (affordable!) addition to the collection of hand-signed books I'm amassing.

Of course, I have no intention of ever actually reading the hardcover book I bought (our fingers all have destructive oils that could compromise the integrity of the signature. But I will, from time to time, open up the front cover to look at the autograph.

Of course, while looking at that $395 price tag for that photo/signature piece sent my head spinning, the same Disney World store also sells the actual jacket that Dick Van Dyke wore as "Bert" in the same movie 45 years ago. They have it under glass, along with a sign telling prospective buyers they'll have to shell out $65,000 to take it home! (Over the span of several recent trips to WDW, I've yet to see anyone buy it.)

Seeing that price, I'll count my blessings I was able to find a more reasonable piece of "Mary" memorabilia. I'll count my pennies, too!

No comments: