Thursday, March 20, 2008

WHO Seeley???

So a couple weeks ago, covering the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference women's basketball title game, I had my latest "celebrity" encounter, though I'd never heard of this guy.

My PoJo colleague Phil Strum (he of "Under the Ring" fame), radio man Geoff Berault and I were this close to singer Drew Seeley as he performed a "mini-concert" at halftime of the game.

For those not in the know (folks like me and Phil and Geoff and most of the people in attendance at the Times Union Center), Drew Seeley was the singing voice of Zac Efron's character, Troy Bolton, in the original "High School Musical" movie. It took me a little research on Wikipedia to find out all that info 'cause when I first heard he was going to be there, I asked myself, Who Seeley???

(If it helps, this is Drew ... the one all the way at the right on that CD cover up there.)

Drew also took Zac's place in the "HSM" concert tour when Zac was off filming last summer's big-screen version of "Hairspray."

Dancing around the Times Center floor, imploring the b-ball fans for a response -- he didn't get much, if any -- Drew sang three or four songs ... and I'm embarrassed to say I'd heard his finale, "Get'cha Head in the Game."

I actually felt bad for the poor guy, 'cause I was talking to fans in the stands halfway through his performance, and many of them left for the concession stand or bathroom when he was singing.

Later, during "Get'cha Head in the Game," Phil, Geoff and I were standing on press row when Drew came this close to him as he sang. I almost wanted to sing along with him, just to make him feel better, letting him think someone knew of him.

But I didn't. Oh, well.

No comments: