Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lemme tell ya sumthin’, brother...

As I've stated here on "Sean's Space" before, I'm a reformed Hulkamaniac. Used to be. Long time ago. Can't stress that enough.

Sure, I gave up on pro wrestling when I started high school, but I've still got a soft spot for the Hulkster. I remember trainin', sayin' my prayers and eatin' my vitamins, just like Hulk Hogan implored us to do as lil' kids. Add to that to my growing collection of signed books, and you can see why this latest treasure is certainly a prized possession. Yes, that is a hand-signed copy of Hulk's new memoir, "My Life Outside the Ring," which the grappling legend autographed early Tuesday afternoon at a book signing in New York City to celebrate the tome's release.

Sadly, I just missed the end of the Hulkster's actual signing by mere minutes, yet I was still able to walk away from the Barnes & Noble on 5th Avenue with a signed copy!

Rushing several blocks to reach the book superstore, I had one thought in mind: I'm going to meet the Hulkster! This was the same larger-than-life superstar I'd been lucky to see once in person when I used to watch the then-World Wrestling Federation's TV tapings as an elementary school kid in the mid-80s here in Poughkeepsie. And here he was in New York City, the same metropolis where I found myself this very same day! So when I arrived at B&N, hurriedly opened the door and asked the security guard, "Where's the Hulk Hogan book signing?" sounding like (admittedly) such a geek, you can imagine how crestfallen I was when he said, "Oh, you just missed it."

Luckily, I wasn't down for the three count just yet...

Turns out, Hulk was in the back offices at B&N, signing a few extra copies of the book for them to sell after he left. Waiting patiently, I only stood around for about five minutes before a small cart of 20 or so of the Hulkster's books made its way to the cashier counter. Oh, they looked like the very same unsigned books on the shelves — they even ran up for the same price as ones without Hulk's John Hancock — but they had this lil' green sticker affixed to the lower, right-hand corner, telling the world: Yes, Hulk Hogan had indeed signed the title page!

Sure, I'd missed out on meeting Hulk, but I was still as happy as a fifth-grader sitting ringside at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in 1985.

No comments: