Monday, November 16, 2009

Fight against cancer just got "Stronger"

Of all the hundreds of compact discs I've amassed since I got my first CD player, this one might rank as my favorite. Yes, that is a new CD hand-signed by Danny Wood, a member of my favorite group of all-time, the New Kids On The Block! I got it directly from Danny's company, with the proceeds going to a great charity.

Just in case you (like my best friend) doubt the authenticity of the autograph, here's the short story behind it:

Here is the regular, unsigned "Stronger: Remember Betty" CD, released earlier this month. Notice it is not signed in silver Sharpie. The CD is a tribute to Danny's mom, Betty (seen on the cover here), who lost her battle with breast cancer a decade ago. The proceeds of the CD benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the work they do to battle the disease. Each of the songs is both an homage to his mom, as well as great therapy for anyone who's lost a loved one. At $15 (plus $3 s/h), it's a great purchase, even unsigned.

But ... Danny was cool enough to sign 300 copies of his new CD and then send this tweet, letting us know we could buy them at no extra cost! Mine arrived in less than a week.

This cause has long been an important one to Danny and the rest of the New Kids as I wrote last year, when the guys sold special tanktops with this logo at their reunion tour with the proceeds again going to the folks at Komen. Additionally, fellow New Kid Donnie Wahlberg recently released his new single, and announced he'd give money from the sales of "I Got It" to the Komen cause.

No comments: