Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"This Was Going To Be It"

For the second time since its release, I was blown away by the posthumous documentary, "This Is It."

I'd seen the Michael Jackson documentary when it first came out last summer then just rented last week, and I was left with the same reaction: Wow! Put aside the allegations, the lawsuits, all the tawdry headlines and his general weird-ness for 2 hours, and watch this film, and you can't help but walk away from it amazed with both Jackson's talent (both singing and dancing) and his attention to detail for his performances. The movie is as close as we'll ever get seeing inside MJ's persona, and it's a rare glimpse into what goes into planning and then pulling off a concert tour, particularly one on the scale that his 50 sold-out UK shows were going to be. From "Thriller" in 3-D to Jackson's unbelievable exit from the stage at the end of the show (check out the DVD's special features for that), it was going to be a great concert.

As I've mentioned earlier, I've never seen Jackson in concert and I really stopped viewing him as relevant years ago, but after watching "This Is It," it made me wish we could've seen how "This" really would have turned out.

No comments: