Friday, October 10, 2008

“Ei8ht” is not enough

My GF and I have a favorite show, called "Jon & Kate Plus Ei8ht," on TLC, The Learning Channel.

It follows young parents from Pennsylvania, Jon and Kate Gosselin, and their eight children: twins girls Cara and Mady, and sextuplets Joel, Hannah, Alexis, Collin, Leah and Aaden. (Aaden, the cute lil' guy in the glasses, is my favorite!)

We get to see not only how two parents in their early 30s handle each of the kids and their different personalities, but also what it's like to get eight kids ready for everything from a day at home or a Fourth of July parade to a vacation at Walt Disney World, driving the whole family the whole way!

It's a great show (I've been trying to tell Pete of "Daddy Diary" fame to tell The Wife about it, but he probably hasn't) and all of the kids are absolutely adorable! As such, the Gosselins have been on everything from the cover of this November's "Good Housekeeping" magazine to "Oprah." Impressive, right? Not to the folks at TLC, apparently.

Because following this week's first-run episode of "Jon & Kate Plus Ei8ht," they showed a show that blew my mind: "17 Kids and Counting" ... can you imagine???

Now, I see how much time and effort Pete and The Wife spend bringing up three lil' ones, and they do a great job. Jon and Kate have their hands full with eight kids (including Aaden, who's so cute!). But 17?! C'mon, those people were looking for a TV gig!

Aside from the sheer logistics of having 17 children and another on the way (that poor mother!), I feel bad for those kids. How do you not lose your identity when you have 16 (soon to be 17) siblings?

Let's hope TLC, and this family, stop at 17 kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sean. I have seenthe show....bits and peices here and there. I get much time to watch an entire show these days. I actually caught a bit of that show with the family of 17 also!!!!! oh my!

The Wife