Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No "View" except her own

Now let me preface this by saying: I've been fan of Elisabeth (Filarski) Hasselbeck for years.

She was adorable on the second season of "Survivor," and I thought it was great when she was added to "The View" in 2003. With that said, though, I feel she is totally unyielding in her support of the Republican party, and she's totally blind to the mere possibility someone else could have a valid point that is the opposite of hers. (Perhaps she should be the one covering her eyes in this pic, 'cause all she can't see any viewpoint other than her own.)

Whenever I'm changing the channels in the morning and come across "The View," she's seemingly always taking a beating from one (or more) of the co-hosts who don't share her beliefs. And, I find more often than not, those co-hosts aren't battling with Elisabeth to get her to change her mind; it's a matter of her not respecting the fact that they have an opinion that doesn't agree with hers.

Here's the most infuriating part: I agree with Elisabeth! We share many of the same political ideas! But, I am able to realize not everyone thinks the same way I/we do. With Elisabeth, it seems it's her way or the highway.

And while her staunch stances have garnered Elisabeth an invitation to the White House for a state dinner and a guest appearance on Fox News in the past, I feel they make all G.O.P.ers look like unwavering morons, unable of even being able to concede there might be another viewpoint out there, contrary to theirs.

I'm sure, despite recent reports denying it, that Elisabeth will end up on Fox News once she's done with her "View" gig. (And, personally, I'm hoping for another graceful departure, a la Rosie and Star!) Fox News would be a perfect fit for her, and I'd actually enjoy watching her on that network, 'cause when you watch Fox News, you know what you're going to get.

Until that move, though, I fear Elisabeth's unyielding positions on "The View" will make both herself and fellow Republicans look foolish.

And I promise, other than the occasional Tina Fey/Sarah Palin musing, this is as political as I'll get on "Sean's Space!"

No comments: