Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Plus 8" was 2 sad 4 words

One word came to mind when watching last night's season premiere of TLC's hit show, "Jon & Kate Plus 8" ... heart-breaking.

Our usual Monday night treat (watching those cute lil' Gosselin kids) was turned into just a sad spectacle for just more than 60 minutes last night. Weeks of anticipation, including TLC's "marathon of memories" all weekend, built up to a Season 5 opener that was just painful to watch, mostly because we've all become so attached to the eight little kids caught in the middle of parents who seem headed down different paths — call it Team Jon vs. Team Kate. While reading tabloid headlines about Jon and Kate (seen here in this TLC publicity shot) over the past few months has become seemingly routine, last night we all took a step back and saw the two people behind the allegations ... not to mention their adorable kids who have no idea about the dirty details being published about their folks.

Jon put it perfectly last night: "Someday, my kids are going to Google me." (For the record, and for what it's worth: I believe Jon when he says he didn't cheat. He seems like too upstanding of a guy to do that.)

It would be easy to use this "Space" to blame one or the other parent, but that doesn't help anyone. Sure, I've got my own personal feelings on who's to blame, I'll leave the airing of opinions to other people. (If you want to read others' opinions on the Jon-Kate struggle, click here.) Honestly, if you watch just one or two previous episodes, it's pretty easy to form your own opinion about each parent and take a side.

In the end, though, there's just one side I'm concerned about: the kids' side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's Dr. Phil when you need him...honestly. I think this can easily be resolved...
1) Kate needs to stop being a martyr and thinking that she's the world's greatest mom because she has 8 kids...please...yes, I'm sure it's hard, but when you're making $25-$50,000 an episode, it's not that hard.
2) Jon needs to have more of a back bone. I'm with you...I don't think Jon cheated on Kate either (though I could see why if he did). There's no reason why Jon had to quit his job to stay home with the kids. Why? So Kate could go traveling all over the place? Jon needs to tell kate to shove it some times. But, besides that, I do think Jon is the better parent.

All I have to say is that no matter what the outcome, those kids are going to get hurt. How selfish of both of them to not try to reconcile things. Jon said in the season ender that he can't be himself anymore. Kate said I'm happy where I am and basically told Jon to deal with it.