Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's THEIR town

You have to go out and rent this movie!

It's called "OT: Our Town" and there are several things that make it good viewing material.

First, it's based around my favorite book of all time, Thorton Wilder's "Our Town," which was written in the 1930s and is widely regarded as the most performed American play in history. I first watched that movie in high school, and I've been hooked ever since, either reading or watching it at least once a year.

Second is the story behind this 77-minute documentary: Students at Dominguez High School in Compton, Calif. try to stage "Our Town," the first play at the school in 20 years. They adapt the play to fit both the current times and their inner-city surroundings, proving that everywhere is someone's Grover's Corners.

I rented it from Blockbuster.com and watched it the same night it arrived in my mailbox, and I was glued to the TV set the whole time. Overcoming both a lack of funds (they put on the play in a cafeteria) and a lack of interest (basketball, not drama, is seemingly the main concern at the school), these kids worked tirelessly for more than a month to put on the show.

Now I could tell ya how it ends, but that would ruin if for you when you rent it!

No comments: