Saturday, June 2, 2007

Talkin' about "Talk Radio"

Just another example of taking a chance on an evening out and being pleasantly surprised by an entertaining endeavor:

I'd gotten a pair of tix to a Broadway play, "Talk Radio," and coaxed my GF to head down to Manhattan and see it. Now, I'd remembered there being a movie of the same name back in the 80s, and all I remember was one commercial of the lead actor, Eric Bogosian (it turns out, he wrote the original play) inside a radio studio just yelling and yelling and yelling. Sounds like a fun night on the Great White Way, right?

Well ... apparently this is a revival of that play, starring Liev Schreiber (seen here in a pic with my GF after the show ... she's the shy type, hence the blue dot!). It takes place in a Cleveland radio station, WTLK, and it's one part drama, one part comedy.

We had great seats -- first row of the mezzanine, baby! -- and it we both had a great time, especially since were both about the youngest ones in the theater!

After the show, as you can see, we met both Liev (he plays the lead character, Barry Champlain) and Stephanie March, who plays his in-studio producer. That's Stephanie posing next to that adorable blue dot!

The best part was that before the night, we'd barely known anything about either Liev or Stephanie, and surely nothing about the play. By night's end, we were there schmoozing with them!

I knew Liev as "that 'CSI' guy." That was it.

And Stephanie? Well, my dad is a huge "Law & Order" fan (any time I walk in my parents' house, I can hear that opening theme music playing from either the TV room or the computer room!) and she's on the show. So we were just excited to meet her for my dad ... it was only until we got on the train that we remembered that Stephanie is married to celebrity chef Bobby Flay ... you might know him from the Food Network.

In short, the play was really entertaining, even though there were a few awkwards moments where you didn't know if it was OK to laugh at the politically incorrect comments being made, or if you'd get "Shhhh!"-ed from the uptight stiff sitting next to you.

Ah, what the heck ... I laughed. They'll never see me again!

No comments: